Some notable names and faces participating in or witnessing the swearing in of newly elected or reelected senators today:
In the public gallery, above the Senate floor:
- Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas and Sam Alito
- Cindy McCain (John McCain was reelected)
Escorting senators to down the middle aisle to be sworn in by VP Biden:
- former VP & Senator Dan Quayle (escorting Dan Coats)
- former senator Frank Murkowski (escorting his daughter Lisa Murkowski)
- former senator Elizabeth Dole (escorting Richard Burr)
Alito famously mouthed, "Not true," during President Obama's last State of the Union, when Obama criticized a Supreme Court ruling. Alito later said he likely won't attend the next State of the Union.
The better course, Alito said, is to follow the example of more experienced justices like Antonin Scalia, Clarence Thomas and the recently retired John Paul Stevens. None has attended in several years.
"So I doubt that I will be there in January," Alito said.